Wednesday 12 September 2018

A Fire...planting a stake of faith into the future.

The first signs of autumn creeping into the garden this week.... 

The silver birch leaves turning to bronze and gold.

Sitting on my bench this evening I heard what I thought was the  chattering of a bird. It was this squirrel chittering and squeaking in the branches above me. 

My view into the  sudden sun this evening- a lovely bonus -  as it has been overcast and cool all day....

shining on the seeds of the European ash.....
 highlighting my tinkling brook...

and brightening the square of field beyond the hazel hedge.
It is a wonderful year for blackberries...

these are dangling down in long fruit-laden swags, woven into the hazel hedge at the very end if the garden.... 


impossible to reach even with the tallest ladder I could find.

Tonight for the first time I set a fire from dry logs and kindling sticks I discover in a  large wicker basket in the ride-on mower garage.

It lights up instantly...the flames surging up the chimney, telling me that I may not need to get it swept  if it is drawing so well.

I'm thrilled ....it transforms the feeling of the room....I can hardly bear to leave it to make my supper...I don't want to miss a single leaping flame or crackle of log. I love the smell of wood smoke lingering in my pjs.

I have always loved fires - indoors or outdoors. We only had an open fire for a few winter months in the house we first bought when we came to Devon. And in one we rented for a year in Axminster.

The one I made tonight feels like planting a stake of faith into the future. 
Even if I install a wood burning stove in its place it means I will always have flames ...and a hearth ....and a heart centre in my home.



No comments:

Post a Comment