Wednesday 30 March 2016

A Day In The Life...














Hellebores in Easter sunshine. I love them.

I had three things to do today. 

Make Robin's birthday cake.
Pay a big  bill.
Cancel a standing order.

I did all those things but around them and in-between them I washed the sheets, got Robin dressed, cut his nails, played word search games with him while we waited for his lovely not-walking group lady to arrive and take him out.

Went to Waitrose to buy him birthday goodies, (and special offers on cleaning products), worried he'd come back before I got home. 

Ate a bright green salad from my sister's garden. 

Took off Robin's shoes and jumper so he could have a rest and talked to the lovely not- walking group lady about coming to sit with him one evening next week when I'm going out to the Opera -  she said she could. Huge relief.

 Woke Robin up and got him dressed in time for the Neuro-physiotherapist and Occupational therapist to come and re-assess how he gets out of bed and the chair. They recommended a pillow riser and  raising the sofa legs to make it easier for him.

They also watched him walking upstairs and said it's a real concern as he's more wobbly now and he doesn't hold the hand rail. They say there are things other than stair lifts - like living downstairs.  But the shower and the bedroom and his office are upstairs.

The physio watched him breathing and said we should go to the GP and get his lungs checked.

I got an appointment with the doctor as soon as they left.. At least she said come in and wait. Robin doesn't sit and wait anymore so he wandered up and down and around the corridors of the surgery while I  chatted to the lovely physiotherapist who happened to be in the waiting room, who we saw at the beginning of all this, and who listened to me when I said it wasn't a frozen shoulder and I wanted Robin to see a neurologist. Finally.

The doctor listened to his chest and said nothing abnormal in his lungs. So his out of breath -ness even at rest, and which is intermittent, may be more to do with the neurological condition but she doesn't say there is anything to do.

 Robin wanted to go for a drive but I said no - too late  at nearly 6pm. 

So he slept while I made supper of roasted celeriac, sweet potato and squash, purple sprouting broccoli, onion bhaji, boiled egg and chilli sauce. 

And iced the cake.

Then I woke him up, gave him a shower, had a bath, fed him supper while I gulped mine down.
Made him a cup of tea and a plate of biscuits and carried them upstairs just in time for Masterchef to start - which is all I wanted to do - collapse in front of the TV.

At some point I wrapped his presents and wrote emails and now it's nearly midnight.  I notice my cold has come back and my nose is streaming. But there is nothing left to do except go to bed.

And it will start all over again tomorrow.....





No comments:

Post a Comment