Thursday 23 January 2020

Rest and Reading as well as Hot Soup






Today, after dear friends come for coffee bringing the lovely gifts of  themselves as well as bunches of furled daffodils and a beautiful hand made ceramic flower vase, I rest and read.
 I finish my novel,
Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout. A wonderful American writer I haven't read before
I always feel bereft and empty when I've finished a book I've enjoyed, like the end of a holiday.
But this time I can continue the pleasure as I found another of her novels in the second hand bookshop next to the cafe at Killerton House.

I'm letting myself read and rest and eat at the moment to break my habit of filling the emptiness that is stretching ahead of me now with busy plans for the next thing. I don't have a clear plan for my future but I still need a vague structure for my every day.
And that includes more soul nourishment as well as doing the washing and buying groceries and writing emails....feeding myself with rest and reading as well as deep bowls of hot spicy soup.


No comments:

Post a Comment