Thursday 16 January 2020

Just for a milli-second.












In the sombre light of the kitchen,
this morning 
I lift the water filter jug,
like I do every morning 
to fill the kettle for 
my hot lemon and honey and ginger 
tea,
and just for a second
for a milli-second,
less than a heart beat,
I think 
Where does this go?
I'm holding it 
in the air
waiting
to know.
Then I see the kettle 
which somehow 
I'd missed, 
in its usual place.
And then I do know what to do
and I pull off the black shiny lid
and pour the water 
inside.

But that empty milli second,
a blank space 
containing a kettle 
which doesn't 
have a reason
to be,
haunts me all day.

Like a woodpecker
tap tap tapping 
the question 
into my head.
What if 
 what if
this is the beginning
of dementia?
Mine not Robin's.
And now
 there is no
me to
watch out 
for me
like I did for him.
How is that
going to
be?

No comments:

Post a Comment