Wednesday 30 October 2019

"So like children we begin again..."


It haunts me all day....while I sit in the dentist's chair, my nose and lip stinging, numb,
while I walk around the cavern of a tile showroom which shimmers, glows with colours of earth and sea, rock and glass....
while I eat soup in my kitchen, the lights on at 2.30pm against a glowering sky, rain slashing the windows....

the bad news. A friend's mysterious illness - diagnosed  by the doctors - cancer -  terminal.
But she won't give up yet....will still seek all and other treatment.
My heart hurts for her, her husband, her family.

I've been reading some excerpts from Rainer Maria Rilke's Book of Hours ...reminded about him from reading  Suzi Crockford's wonderful blog. This one has stayed with me...helping me take in  the bad news.


“If we surrendered
to earth’s intelligence
we could rise up rooted, like trees.

Instead we entangle ourselves
in knots of our own making
and struggle, lonely and confused.

So like children, we begin again...

to fall,
patiently to trust our heaviness.
Even a bird has to do that
before he can fly.” 
 Rainer Maria Rilke, Rilke's Book of Hours: Love Poems to God





2 comments:

  1. Thank you for recommending Suzi Crockford's blog - I've checked it out, and her website. So well written, and beautiful photographs and illustrations. Really interesting. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm so glad you found her...yes she is such an inspiration to me too. X

    ReplyDelete