Wednesday 9 October 2019

A flash of brightness

This morning the house smells of vinegar. Garden designer appointment is a no show.
As window cleaners are coming this afternoon, I clean the windows inside. So much spider poo. White vinegar is good for that.
I spend hours at my desk...doing admin....house stuff, money stuff, arrangements, appointments.
 I can't  go for my walk at the moment...done something to my right knee...so late afternoon I take my camera out into the garden in a brief burst of sunlight.... wanting some air, not really expecting to see anything.
But I notice immediately that  the cows have disappeared from the field
 at the end of my garden.
The sheep have replaced them.
Taking a photo of the sheep I spot this little robin, not moving at all, 
perched in the blackberry bush.
I love it when that happens....
if I put myself in the garden,
 in the field,
 on the footpath,
 under the oak tree,
or
 in the presence of someone who needs love,
or
turn up 
on the empty page,
with a pen, 
on the keyboard,
with fingers poised,
on the yoga mat,
on the public bench
and
be prepared
for something 
or nothing,
then 
any
small joy
can arise.
 
 Ann Lewin says it much better in her poem Disclosure,
 sent to me recently  by my brother-in-law....
about the kingfisher, about prayer.

 Disclosure by Ann Lewin

Prayer is like watching
 for the kingfisher.
All you can do is
be where he is likely to appear
and wait.
Often, nothing much happens:
there is space, silence,
expectancy.
No visible sign.
Only the Knowledge
that he has been there
and may come again.
Seeing or not seeing cease to matter,
you have been prepared.
But sometimes when you've almost 
stopped expecting it,
a flash of brightness
gives encouragement.


2 comments:

  1. You put it completely differently from Ann Lewin but just as well. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Belinda...yes I realise she is saying something a bit different as well... but inspiring me to to take off in my own direction! xx

    ReplyDelete