Thursday 31 October 2019

Leaving behind the life we used to have

 Today it's Halloween, and All Souls Day, Samhain - the day to remember the dead.
It's been raining most of the day - not photograph weather so these are some taken at the end of October over the years.

 Above  -  Montacute House, Somerset 2009
Boston 2010

Madeira 2011

Birthday cake for me and 
 
Robin's squashes 2012

Exeter sunset 2013

Boston ivy and

tart tatin , Exeter 2014

Homemade raw chocolates 2015

After Robin  - University Parks  2016

2017 Exmouth beach

 2018 'My' sheep and the plane tree in the field at the end of my garden. 
 This morning in Exeter in between showers.

Now it's past midnight. I was invited out for a curry supper and the movies - a lovely treat - even though I don't usually go out after dark in the winter months...and it does feel like winter now.

It was odd driving past the turning to our old house, leaving behind the bright lights of Exeter, the streets full of groups of shouting young people, celebrating Halloween, some of them waving drunkenly, dangerously across the road.
 I  head out into the dark narrow lanes leading to my village, swooshing through  deep puddles, the yellow autumn leaves swirling across the wet tarmac like chips of gold shining in the headlights....glad to be going home to the deserted streets and peacefulness of my ordinary country life. 
Leaving behind the life we used to have in the city...easier to visit it now...easier to leave it where it belongs...in my memory.


No comments:

Post a Comment