Friday 20 September 2019

Surviving in my little green patch of Devon









I could have joined the school children marching in the streets of Exeter today, protesting about climate change and the fear of losing our planet.
But I didn't. 
It does't mean I don't care. But I do think I don't do enough for the environment...at a loss how to make a difference beyond recycling my plastic, not eating meat, eating organic food as much as possible and planning to install solar panels on my house.
Maybe loving it all, the people who are destroying our world as much as the people who are trying to save it....not condoning them but including them in the healing somehow....including myself for not being a campaigner like my father........even when it's hell on earth....hell in our minds......holding faith in the good..is another way of marching.
And sometimes I forget to do even that...and like today I get lost in the beauty of my garden and escape into taking photos of butterflies eating a rotting apple still clinging to a branch, and the free gift of the sunflowers, and the shimmering silver leaves of the birches, some of them turning gold already.

Even though it's unseasonably warm - maybe because of global warming - I'm still thankful  there are bees and butterflies and birds surviving, for the moment, in my little green patch of Devon.
And me too.


3 comments:

  1. I agree with you about not knowing what else to do for the environment. I'm pinning my faith on rewilding at the moment as it's so positive and so exciting, and trying to look at the big picture - whatever happens it's part of the divine plan. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re-wilding - how exciting - and a wonderful contribution to saving the planet. My brother in-law has lent me a copy of Rewilding by Isabella Tree- not read it yet but looks inspiring. And yes thanks for reminding me about the divine plan....it halts being depressed about it all xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That should be Wilding by Isabella Tree x

    ReplyDelete