Monday 16 September 2019

Indian Summer Sunday....Small Guilt Attack.

SUNDAY
Gloriously hot Indian Summer day.
I walk in the beautiful Quantock hills in North Somerset with lovely walking friends.

View of the Bristol Channel with the controversial

Hinkley nuclear power station in the far distance.

 Carving of a Wurm/dragon in the woods....

and steep shaded paths leading through native sessile oaks and up onto the open moorland.
Followed by a magnificent lunch - my contribution of garlicky roasted roots with salsa verde and a blackcurrant parfait ice cream,
in the fabulous house and garden 

of our hosts for the day.
I drive back along the winding, wooded road which passes the NT's Dunster Castle....road and castle both bringing back a flood of Robin memories....washing me out ...again and again.

TODAY
8am
 a  recommended plumber comes to talk to me about moving the hot water tank in the kitchen.
He ends up replacing the stuck push down plug in the bathroom sink.
And giving me a rough estimate to build my house. 

So  what with one thing and another I don't walk my walk till lunchtime.








Then the day drifts into the evening while I follow more kitchen and bathroom and garden ideas/quotes, and re-jig all my financial calculations.

I start the process of removing Robin's Face Book account which I've tried to do several times and always end up stymied by not understanding the online instructions for closing a  deceased person's page. But now it looks like  the account may have been highjacked so a friend has kindly offered to help.

I reply to more queries from the designer about the lettering on Robin's memorial stone.

I think I should have done all this a long time ago...the FB ...the stone....the calculations.
But after a small guilt attack I remember to change my should to could... and let it be the way it is today.
 This evening the light over the trees in the garden is a glowing soft pink and because I'm too tired to be inventive or creative about supper I boil lovely waxy potatoes, chop spinach and broccoli, poach an egg and splurge olive oil over it all with a sprinkled  topping of toasted sesame seeds.

I eat it watching Celebrity Masterchef.

And turn off the TV before the news comes on to distress me.


2 comments:

  1. The Quantocks look lovely. I must explore them. Glad you switched off the news . . . xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes do discover the Quantocks...the landscape is very gentle and benign....less dramatic and bleak than Dartmoor and Exmoor...but so beautiful... and easy walking.Xx

    ReplyDelete