Wednesday 16 May 2018

....to sell my place of safety.







This afternoon.
Brown envelope arrives in the post.
Fat package from solicitors re sale of our house.
My house now.
Selling it without Robin.
He did it all.
Pages and pages to read 
and understand.
Terms of business
at  £210 per hour.

Questions about the house - 
any covenants, boundary disputes ?
Questions about the fixtures and fittings - 
is the dishwasher included?
 Easy - I haven't got a dishwasher.
What about my patio pots?

But dismantling my home
in writing,
ticking columns,
un-ownig it
is difficult.
If I sign and send these forms
there is no going back.

I delay....
seek comfort in a plate of garlicky rice and peas and  green olive oil,
in a bowl of raspberries
 which I eat like sweets
with my fingers,
in a glass of Robin's
sloe gin,
numbing me with clear ruby
memories.
In an episode of Lewis
 on TV.

All brief consolation.
Nothing will
dull the sharp shard of 
truth 
still waiting for me in the brown envelope.
To agree to sell
my place of safety.

Nowhere 
to hide
 now that my past- 
the life I knew
and loved - 
can no longer 
be
my refuge.


No comments:

Post a Comment