Wednesday 30 May 2018

Oak Tree...Walnut Flapjacks....Waterfall of Birdsong


After the rain this morning in my garden - this sweet robin perched for ages on the hanging basket hook, as still as a meditator.


On Sunday I took some of my family to see my home-to-be. To get their approval - which I knew I already had but I wanted to share it with them. 
 Afterwards we took a  circular walk through the village and found this path which goes past the field which backs onto the house. You can't see it behind the big oak tree in the centre but you can see these cows from the kitchen window.


We also found this famous oak tree on the outskirts of the village which is over a  thousand years old...the curve of its trunk as
beautifully round as the belly of my niece 


who is eight months pregnant.


I love that I will be living so near to its ancient wisdom.


Back home I made supper for them -  a spring risotto of pea, asparagus and shitake mushrooms, tomatoes roasted in feathery dill and green garlic with fine green beans and a lemony walnut pesto. Grilled salmon for the fish eaters.

I also baked an Elderflower and Lemon Cake  - inspired by Harry and Meghan's -  but the elderflower got lost in the sharp lemon flavour. So I served it with  raspberries and blueberries soaked in the last of my homemade pink elderflower cordial which was also in memory of my niece's wedding  - I made gallons of it for that wonderful occasion. And now they are having a baby.....so happy for them.


I enjoyed cooking again for more than one person. 
 Sometimes I just have an urgent need to bake for no reason- no one coming to tea - so  this afternoon in between my mission to de-clutter at least one drawer a day, I made a batch of walnut and maple flapjacks. 
I set up the computer on the  kitchen counter and listened to the wise and humorous words of Matt Kahn in his latest video while I stirred up a nubbly concoction of melted coconut oil, porridge oats, maple syrup, goji berries and pumpkin seeds.....practising loving kindness... soothing the anxious, worrying part of me that fears I may be taking on a garden too big for me.....reassuring her I can always turn it into a wild flower meadow and let it take care of itself...while I let the waterfall of birdsong take care of me.



No comments:

Post a Comment