Wednesday 27 February 2019

Paying attention to daffodils, ducks and exploding bulrushes

A lamb turning her face to the sun. 

I'm driving to the Great Western Canal at Tiverton and can't resist stopping at the gate of a field to take photos of the first spring lambs I've seen this year.

Exploding bulrushes on the banks of the canal more like candy floss than Cattails...

soft as lamb's wool.

An unusual  white duck  swimming with the other mallards in the log jam of dead bulrush stalks.


It's so hot - the house doesn't get much morning sun so it's cold when I leave, wearing jumper, coat, scarf and gloves - and I end up carrying them all.

When I get back to the car the temperature gauge measures

21 degrees.










 The canal has many associations for me - my father's 90th Birthday and all  the many times Robin and I walked this particular route before and after his illness.
 But today I stay attentive to my own footsteps -  loving the still winter beauty, especially the skeleton shapes of the trees, as I walk in summer heat alongside the ducks and the daffodils and the bulrushes exploding their fine soft wool into the February air....remembering Mary Oliver's  
Instructions for living a life.
Pay attention.
 Be astonished.
Tell about it.


2 comments:

  1. The canal is so beautiful, isn't it, at all seasons. Lovely to be reminded of that. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you know it too....and yes always beautiful....the same place always different ...such a pleasure. xx

    ReplyDelete