Monday 4 March 2019

The Past is Another Planet





Whoever said "The past is another country" was wrong.

The past is another planet. 
When you are rocketed there
 you can't breathe
in the thinness of the air.

You float above a vast terrain
of  living breathing pictures - 
a technicolour movie.
You know the story by heart.
And the ending.
But you can't  reach into it 
or touch 
its solidness and say,
Sorry
or 
Please hold me.
or
Don't leave me.

And then that megaphone
cry 
exits your body,
comes out of your mouth
from the extinct wild animal
trapped there
from that other planet.

And you find yourself 
landed
back on the same 
green carpet
the one that smells of dog,
crouched  there, 
a frozen statue,
at noon
on a cold March morning.

Laid in front of you is
 an open box,
which used to contain your winter boots
and now it holds
the pain of love and memory in
condolence letters
and kind cards
and a copy of  the Order of Service of
your husband's funeral.

And a copy of
  all the words you wrote and spoke for him.
No use to you now.

At the bottom of the pile 
hides
a note from an earlier time
in his handwriting 
in blue biro
telling you he has left a box of those 
'red things' in the fridge - 
he means strawberries 
he picked at the allotment  -
and he will be back home soon.

How can I find the words to say about his man,
a few words to engrave
on a headstone 
set in the earth,
without opening up the treasure box of his life
which resides on
another planet now?
The one where I can't breathe.

So I put on my coat and a letter to post in my pocket, and let the wind whirl me along the street, my shoulders brushed by flurries of white cherry blossom petals and stinging bursts of icy hail stones. And I walk and walk till my face and my hands become as numb as my heart.



No comments:

Post a Comment