Monday 18 March 2019

Dissolving Sadness...Old becomes new...new becomes old.


Rainbow over the sea in Sidmouth...

and wonderful views of the cliffs from the golf course while walking with dear friend and dog on Sunday.

Since listening to a Matt Kahn UTube video at the weekend called Dissolving Sadness I've been thinking a lot about what he says about the cycle of what he calls 
Renewal and erosion.
I can never remember  in detail  or encapsulate what Matt says in his talks but this time a few things resonate with me a lot. These are my notes...not quoting him exactly...just the gist of it. 


Reality - the natural order of things - is the movement  from renewal to erosion and from erosion to renewal.
Old becomes new and new becomes old.
Embrace this reality  and it will transform us. Or loss will destroy us.
Sadness comes when we try to control or change this natural order.

Dissolving sadness is having an equally loving relationship with renewal as with erosion.
True grief is the insufferable vibration of regret.
If we love without regret we can grieve without guilt. 
Regret goes as deep as our unwillingness to receive what is here right now.

Sadness is just the part of you that, like a child,
 doesn't know the way things are.
And that part needs great compassion.
Pain comes to show us our relationship with change.

Our inquiry is -
Who am I when I gain?
Who am I when I lose?
That is what it means to know yourself.

And to know that everything that comes and everything that goes will always leave you better than before.


Robin coming ....Robin going....leaving me better than before.

And knowing this....knowing it for sure in my heart...still I grieve...with guilt...with regret...
with insufferable sadness....the sadness that still doesn't know how things are...the natural order of things.
Maybe not yet...but  I could  have compassion for this sadness -  like a child who is too young, who knows nothing of erosion, to respect and love her - love her into dissolving into the new.


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful photographs. And yes, most important of all to have compassion for our sadness - and allow it to be - and maybe to be happy at the same time. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Belinda ...yes... noticing those moments when I'm happy too is a good practice...making space for it all...that's the art if you can do it...X

    ReplyDelete