Friday 8 March 2019

Thank you, Dear Women









Tonight I actually follow a recipe for my supper ...well, with a few additions, but the heart of it is a recipe, from Food for a Happy Gut by Naomi Devlin  of  River Cottage fame. She has three sections in the book  - CALM NOURISH and HEAL. I'm staying with the CALM recipes for now and tonight's was Sweet Carrots and Savoury Chard. Simple and flavoursome. I eat it with quinoa, perked up with salty, piquant  preserved lemons, fresh parsley and my ubiquitous poached egg.

It's late now - I stayed up to watch Made in Dagenham - the film about the 187 women who worked as machinists, making seat covers in the Ford car factory and who went on strike in 1968 to get equal pay for women.  Backed by Barbara Castle they got the law passed in 1970. I've seen the film before but I still find it shocking that equal pay was not a right till then. And it still isn't in many countries and some industries even now.

It's International Women's Day today and I want to thank all the wonderful, beautiful, courageous, funny, hard working, caring, kind, creative and inspirational women in my life. I wouldn't want to do it without you and it certainly wouldn't be nearly so much fun.
Thank you to each of you and for your unique loving hearts - blessing mine.





2 comments:

  1. What a great idea your last paragraph is (thanking the women in your life), and so moving. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you are one of those women - thank you too.Xx

    ReplyDelete