Monday 23 October 2017

The washing up is so achievable.....
































 The joy of glorious blue-billed ducks sharing the estuary meadows with


black and white cows at  Bowling Green Marsh in Topsham on Saturday -  before the wind blew up so fiercely I couldn't keep my camera from shaking.


This evening.

Arrow to bullseye. Jet to freedom.



The washing up is so
achievable.
When you have scrubbed at
the egg stuck on the bottom of
the saucepan
it's either gone
or it hasn't.
And you may need to rub 
gently 
at the bit you missed 
in the corner.
Till it's clean
and usable again.

But 
how do you measure 
letting go?
How do you know you 
have forgiven
yourself,
everyone?

After a year
I can now drive past the care home 
where Robin spent a week of his life
so that I could have 
respite.
He didn't like it at all.
The guilt 
chopped me.

For months I avoided it
and drove a different route out of town.
Now I drive past with my hand held up against the side window
screening the view
that used to make my stomach churn.
And I think of something 
happy instead.
And about where I'm going now
even if it's just 
shopping.


On Saturday I drove the route we used to take 
 on a Thursday morning to 
leave Robin at The Mede  Care Centre.
He came to love it there.
They looked after him
so gently
 and loved him
and 
I loved my hours of
freedom.

But when I passed the turning into The Mede
I thought I would have to stop the car
I couldn't see through 
the river from my eyes
and I felt 
I would break 
in half 
in my seat.
Not guilt
but 
gratitude.

And missing him
like a severed 
arm.



No comments:

Post a Comment