Thursday 19 October 2017

Heart Broken


"You didn't know my father," says Sue Perkins at the beginning of her programme about The Ganges, "but he's worth grieving for." 
He died earlier this year, and in tonight's episode I found her personal pilgrimage ....  to let herself feel her sadness...... in such a profound and dramatic and confusing place, very moving. She's also very funny. 


Today
I started my own pilgrimage
to let myself
feel 
my 
sadness
when a beautiful woman,
a healer,
a widow,
sat opposite me and 
said
But your heart is broken.
You are raw
all over again
or
for the first time
approaching
the 
first anniversary
of his 
death.

And 
in the centre of 
your brokenness
deep
in your smashed
heart
is the seed of 
its 
healing.
The
bud 
of 
love.

But first 
feel 
the 
slice
of the wound
severing
every
single
cell
of your body.
How it cuts
you
beyond
reasonable
doubt.

Enter that
gash
for gulps of 
time
and 
you will 
exit
cleansed.

There is a cross 
in the ground now.

There is a date 
circled in the calendar.

Evidence
he is gone.

And so I begin
at last
to
let
my 
heart
know
it is
broken.











No comments:

Post a Comment