Friday 17 June 2016

Five Star Respite, Garlic and Summer














Geraniums in the garden this evening after the rain. In my family these flowers are associated with my mother - and the pink variety as well. She always gave us clumps of  them to plant in our gardens where ever we were. I  brought these with us when we moved here from St Albans. They multiply themselves very year.


The riser recliner chair arrives as promised. Robin is quite taken with it. Except he has difficulty pressing and holding down the button to tip him back and chuck him out. My problem with it is that it has a horrible smell -  of someone else's room -  a bit musty  - like the clothes in a charity shop. Fabreeze hasn't worked - possibly made it worse.

This afternoon a friend and I visit a super duper newly built care home not far from us. It's like a five star hotel with restaurants and lounges and gardens, en-suite rooms with profiling beds,  organised activities, nursing and care staff at an unusually high ratio to residents - even at night. It smells of fresh coffee not pee. Everyone we met was friendly and helpful.  You could tell they cared.But most importantly I know that Robin would be properly looked after, never left waiting for someone to come and get him out of bed or wipe his bum or blow his nose.

 They have respite vacancies. I'm thinking about a week. Quite soon. Of course it comes at a cost. But one I'm willing to pay. For the sanity of both of us.

Tonight I wanted the house to smell of garlic and cooking instead of musty chair so I made a cherry tomato and red pepper sauce with this whole bulb of green garlic - a lovely gift from my sister's poly tunnel in the Blackdown Hills.











It made me think of hot summers and hot countries and holidays. Earlier I spoke to my big sister who  has just returned from being a grandma in Sardinia where it was 34 degrees at least every day.  I think about my brother in the shrivelling heat of Fiji....and look out at my cool wet English  garden and wonder when our summer will come.











No comments:

Post a Comment