Wednesday 13 July 2016

New Brooms...








When we come back from the garden centre,
where I bought a stiff bristly yard broom
with a long sturdy handle,
he sits at the dining room table 
wearing a giant bib,
one like my mother used to wear in 
the care home, 
except hers was hyacinth blue plaid and his is
grass green plaid.

He watches me at the kitchen counter
 weigh out porridge oats and 
desiccated coconut,
dried cranberries and pumpkin seeds
while he chews, slowly slowy, each small spoonful of chopped up lunch
that I scoop into his mouth,
a mush of hummus and egg mayonnaise
avocado and tomato.

When I start chopping up the whole almonds to press on top of the
 tray of sticky flapjack mixture,
I ask  him
Do you remember chopping up nuts when we used to make 
biscuits together?

 I was thinking particularly about the granite hard logs of biscotti he loved to make
when he still had the use of his hands.
I do, he says. 
And he smiles.

Can I have a flapjack?
When they are cooked. When they are cool. I say, deflecting him.

Later, while he sleeps upstairs, my friend arrives
with her trug of secateurs and gardening gloves 
and a trowel
to help me with the wildness and the weeds.

But first I make  us 
a pot of fragrant 
lemon balm tea,
picked from one of the going-to-seed bushes
in the garden
as I need to sit a bit after my hectic 
morning,
in and out of the car,
in and out of shops,
all that dressing and undressing
in and out of bed,
feeding and peeing.

More than anything I want to hear about 
my friend's life - 
someone else's trials 
and triumphs - 
as I'm weary of the relentless 
saga of my own.

When another angel arrives and drives off
with him in her car
for a two hour adventure,
 and with a supply of fruit smoothies,
to avoid cups of tea in cafes,
we start tackling the weeds and the wildness. 

While I cut out dead wood and
re-wind  triffid honeysuckle through trellis,
 she scrapes away years of moss and slipperiness
rooted in the circular brick path 
at the end of the garden,
exposing the handiwork of its original design.

And then she 
sweeps it 
clean
and clear 
with my new 
ready-for-anything
yard broom.




No comments:

Post a Comment