Wednesday 15 June 2016

The Dentist and the TO DO List









































In the pink.....


A few moments from today....

The dentist who asks Robin to, open your mouth sir,  for the second time, when he can see Robin is struggling to swallow down his saliva, is brusque and almost rude. He seems to be treating  him like a thing not a person. I've already explained Robin's problems but he makes no allowances. He shows me how his front teeth are wobbly because of gum recession. He pokes at a filling and says it must be re-filled. But it will be tricky as it's on the edge between two teeth.

I don't like him and I don't want him to do the filling. We make an appointment anyway. He's a National Health dentist so it is cheaper but I'm thinking about taking him to my dentist instead.  Afterwards we sit under the awning of a street cafe keeping out of the rain and have coffee and brownies. I don't think they will make the gum recession any worse.

This afternoon I have four hours while Robin is out in the care of lovely P A. The rain roars down on the plastic roof, I sit at the kitchen table surrounded by papers, with my computer, the phone, my diary, and a mammoth TO DO list.

These are some of the things I do...

Pay the car insurance - take Robin off the policy as a named driver which makes it cheaper - who knew? 
Try and fill in the gas and electricity meter readings on the Ecotricity website - make a mistake  - put the gas reading in the electricity slot. Have to phone up to correct it.

Cancel the vacuum cleaner insurance - discover  that as the hoover is 10 years old, they'll only pay 30%  for parts or replacement and I've paid more than £500 for the insurance I've never used. And all this time I  thought what I was paying for was a delivery of the vacuum bags once a year. The man on the end of the phone laughs like a drain when I tell him. I think I made  his day.

Arrange for the car to be picked up and delivered for its service and MOT by the Honda garage. I want to use the lovely mechanic I've always used but now I haven't got the time to get myself to and from the garage, be without a car, and get cover for Robin.

Phone our financial advisor about our outgoings and the increased cost of care and possible increase of Robin's benefits so he can work out an income from the pensions. Which needs to start soon.

Make an appointment to visit another care home very near us for Robin  - for respite for me. It looks very salubrious on the website.

What  I can't do - because its raining  - is plant out the fuchsias and petunias and nasturtiums - an unsatisfactory combination that I bought at the garden centre the other day - impossible for me to make decisions about bedding plants in the 15 minutes I had before I had to get back for the cleaner.-  Slugs always eat my petunias so I don't know what I was thinking.

What I notice I don't do right at the end of the list is arrange to have a massage. But I will.





2 comments:

  1. Dear Trish, I often think of you and Robin and wonder how life is with you and when I have 5 minutes I love to read your blog...its so beautiful and moving and rich in detail and humour, really a lovely thing you are doing. Martin asked me what I was reading just now and I told him and he sat and read some too, we were both saying there is a book there, with your photos and your recipes as well as the writing about what you are going through...it would make a wonderful and inspiring book(- I think some people still read books??- I do! ) anyway ,just wanted to say "Hi" and send you and Robin a hug- I hope you get some respite soon and that works for you both, it sounds like the perfect place and like you really could do with it. Hope to see you over the summer somewhere? Much love to you both, Tati xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Tati how lovely to hear from you and thank you for all your really lovely comments and for taking the time to write. You are an icon in Robin's history and we often talk of you especially when we go past Ashburton which is always identified as 'the place where I used to do ceramics with Tati!" We both send you big hugs too - to you all three. Lots of love Xxx

    ReplyDelete