Monday 2 December 2019

I Will Leave the Owls... Buried Treasure of Forever Love... and Just for me.


I leave this....  a  warm Portuguese southern idyll for















the   "mists and mellow fruitfulness" of  a late autumn in Devon.










And I leave Portugal with a change of heart,
mid-wifed by my lovely sisters.

I will leave the owls and the garden after all.
I have cancelled the building plans.
Trying to make them happen
has been breaking me.

I bought this house to live out a dream.
The one that Robin and I had.
 A house in a village, in the country, a vegetable garden,
The stream - a bonus.
A home for us -  for two - to build together,
to grow old in.

 As I only know how to live a married life,
I keep creating it.
Imagining that if I do, if I wait long enough,
if I build it he will come.

To let go of  the emptiness of that dream now,
to let in the truth of my solitariness,
is like a pair of giant gentle hands
lifting a boulder from my shoulders.

And mid-wifed by my lovely therapist
I come  home to something even 
lighter, deeper in myself.

 That the love Robin and I had for all those years
can never be taken away from me.
It lives in the fabric of my being.
In every cell of my body
forever while I'm here.
Eternal.
A sustenance.

They all said that - that your loved one lives on in your heart
even when they die.
And I wanted that so much 
but I could only 
feel his absence
the loss of his physical presence 
a weeping wound, 
draining the life, the smile, out of me.

And it doesn't stop me longing for him still.
On Saturday night I stood in the cold wind
in a village square
with my family
listening to a choir of carol singers.
When it came to the descant in  
'O Come All Ye Faithful'
I could only hear Robin's high alto above all the rest 
and wept for him
and for me
remembering  his arms 
wrapping me up
against  the draft of
singleness.

But now when I return to the memory of him
I don't only feel the hurt
of his absence
but something else as well,
our forever and always love
embodied in me
like buried treasure
to sift though
over and over again.
Something to feed me,
something I have been hungry for,
and up till now
didn't know was possible.

This is the sky and the frosty garden that I wake to this morning.

I have started painting my bedroom. Standing on a small step ladder, a roller loaded with Dulux Timeless White, I reach  up to the ceiling and sweep it across the cracks in the plaster above me.
It feels good to finally be here, owning the house as it is, just making a few cosmetic changes - like replacing some light fittings, insulating the loft  -  not planning to demolish walls or build new ones.

Now it's the place where I  have the time to rest, recover, let go, declutter stuff, let in the new,

And when I'm ready, maybe in the spring, I'll put it on the market and look for the right home. 
Just for me.


4 comments:

  1. Wow, what beautiful photos! I've missed them while you were away! Wonderful to feel the light & warmth of Portugal... But the same delight in Devon's autumn too. Thank you! And blimey, what a momentous decision. Very relieved for you that you have unburdened yourself, and can stop the major MAJOR works to house & garden. It has basked in your love! But there is an easier path & house for you, just waiting for your arrival! Loadsa love Trish! 🍁🌈🌹 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you lovely unknown person! Love to know who you are! What encouraging and supportive words. Lots of love back to you Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes me cry - so beautifully put as always. Bxx (I now have a new computer and, thanks to Frog, I have the internet back. Hoping to do the rest tomorrow.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I missed this till just now Belinda - thank you so much. And so glad you are up and running again after the internet wilderness. xx

    ReplyDelete