Thursday 12 December 2019

"Love yourself. Then forget it. Then, love the world."


Beautiful barn owl ...on display in the high street in Exeter....
on behalf of a Bird of Prey charity. I wish he could fly free though.

When I have no words  - none tonight,  as I don't just want to write about
my weariness, complain about my sore body and heart - I turn to Mary Oliver for inspiration and these are the lines that speak to me.

Love yourself. Then forget it.
Then, love the world.

and
I go down to the shore in the morning,
 and depending on the hour the waves
 are rolling in or moving out,
and I say, oh I am miserable
what shall - 
what should I do? And the sea says
in its lovely voice:
Excuse me, I have work to do.

And now, as people all over the country are counting votes,  there is such a gale blowing outside, rain slashing against the windows, the wind roaring through the trees, I wonder if I'll sleep, with the moon being full as well.
I hope the owls will be safe in the storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment