Thursday 1 August 2019

Rabbits - Dead and Alive...and ....Photo Blog Number Two...More June


Hot air ballon this morning rising like a harvest moon over the tops of the trees


This tractor has taken away all the rolled up bales now.

The dozing pussy cat in the early morning sun....till I saw what he was guarding...

his kill...a rabbit I think. It makes me so sad.

But a few minutes later  I saw this one across the horse field - very much alive. The first time I've seen rabbits on my walk.




I've been gardening all afternoon....weeding the rose bed, wearing  my new long leather gauntlets,  pulling up brambles entwined in the front hedge And sweeping the driveway, clearing up  scatterings  of cut barley stalks that must have escaped their bales, stacked in the tractor trailer  as it trundled up and down the lane.
It's absorbing and satisfying ....  using my hands in the red Devon earth...keeping me connected to the ground....keeping  my mind off distressing things which are making my heart sore all the time.



Photo Blog Number Two.

Still in June - in the garden....strawberries and sweet williams from the man with the allotment who sells them outside the village shop on Fridays.

I picked elderflowers and made cordial....and missed our  pink sambucus niger on the allotment. 

Peony drooping its head after the rain...

Ring dove - they don't often come...

this blackbird was always running and worm hunting in the grass when I was sitting under the oak tree...

the  squawk of the pheasants was often the first thing I heard in the mornings..

young thrush...

gentle pink rose in hot hot sunshine..

Allium ball heads...in flower...

and after flower...


The adolescent starlings were constant raucous visitors...now in August they have all but disappeared ...

leaving the bird feeders for the blue tits and the sparrows.


You can see why the peony and the rose are related...


this one is a David Austin gift...

a different rose climbing the fence...still flowering, and dropping its petals and perfume in August.....

and the full moon on 17th June.






































No comments:

Post a Comment