Tuesday 20 August 2019

A Tuesday in Mid August and Discovering Napping



This morning I roast golden beetroots, carrots and sweet red onions and cook up a pot of fragrant  green beans garlic and tomatoes  - gifts from the gardens of dear friends as well as bounty from the farmers' market.  Lunch for my dear sister.
I have one spindly  tomato plant and one creeping cucumber plant growing in the depleted soil of the old broken-pane greenhouse in the garden. They were both free and a bit sad and I don't expect any fruit off them. Too late in the season now.

 For the first time I wear a fleece on my morning walk. The  faint whiff of " mists and mellow fruitfulness" is hanging in the air. 
The harvested barley field is greening over already.  
 Cobwebs decorating  hazel...

dew glazing blackberry...

three quarter moon, high up pin head

in morning blue...

 clever snail hanging on to

bursting seeds of cow parsley heads....

grey gilled mushroom fungus.... springing out of dead brown grass....

wild mallow.... freshly pink.. 

lost sheep...

pussy cat stalking prey in shining diamond dew grass

horse whispering.....sweet nothings...

chestnut seed wings... waiting to spiral away on the wind..

 in the village...bird on

a wire...

moon in blue outside my house...

 sunflowers...sprung from seeds flung out of the feeder by a picky great tit or starling.....
taking shelter under the half moon of the baffle...between Robin's  two ceramic heads.

I'm so happy to see the cows returned to the field beyond my garden..grazing under the great plane tree....like they did last summer ....affirming my arrival in the country.

 Today I spend researching glazed verandahs and UVPC casement windows...and getting my washing dry on the line....and discovering  from a programme about sleep that it's good for your health to have a nap - no more than 20 minutes -  in the afternoon. I knew it but haven't really let it into my day. Sounds like a plan  I could start implementing...sooner rather than later.




2 comments:

  1. I love your nature notes - noticing the slow seasonal changes. I'm a great fan of napping myself - not just after lunch but whenever I feel I need to. It's such a treat to have the opportunity these days. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Belinda - they are so subtle aren't they, these seasonal changes...I feel so lucky to be so close to them now I live more in the country. Napping whenever sounds even better! xx

    ReplyDelete