Thursday 23 May 2019

A Waterfall of Joy...or Grief


Some things that make me smile....and cry..... today.

 This morning driving into Exeter - the voice of a Zimbabwean woman on the radio...winner of a gold medal at the Chelsea Flower Show for her team's red-earth garden -  growing herbs and medicinal plants for women and children.  The music in her voice ...her laughter ....demonstrating how they  ululate...and dance.... to celebrate any good news ...and the beat of the drums in the background...I'm instantly a child again... back in the red earth garden of our African home.

The faces of two dear friends across a breakfast table in a cafe.

Buying the last few broad beans in the farmers' market....and six little pots of herbs including  tarragon, coriander and mint...I'm not planting much this year as I don't know what the garden will be like...but I can at least start a herb garden in a bed by the house.

Listening to  Beethoven's Fifth piano concerto in the car....reminding me of my mother who introduced me to Beethoven...especially the haunting crescendo part that always makes me cry ....the part she said was like waterfall music. 

Receiving photos on my phone of one of my sweet great nieces....and receiving good news about my nephew after a long worrying time....I would ululate.... and dance.... if I could.

Walking past a white waterfall of wisteria cascading over someone's garden wall on my way to vote in the European elections this evening.

And in my garden.... this bee feasting on newly flowering lupins....

the vivid orange and yellow cascade of calendula.. more African childhood memories...

the  puff ball pompoms of the alliums I planted in pots last autumn ....a house warming gift from dear friends...

 so thrilled that the first rose climbing the fence has bloomed....and so many buds still to open....

these delicate poppies -  the first  thing I see when I back the car into the drive every time I come home  - always make me smile.

Delighted to see this nuthatch after such a long absence from the feeders..

he ...or she ... has a certain teddy boy look...

and the first baby blue tit flies in tonight at dusk when the starlings have gone...

utterly adorable.

The adolescent starlings, although they squabble and flap are so entertaining ...
and surprisingly different  from each other..
I'm beginning to distinguish some of their characters...

I'm assuming this adolescent black bird is moulting - it almost looks like she is wearing pantaloons -  and the new feathers will be much darker....

I hope he/she comes back soon.

So much to smile about ...so  much to be grateful for...and I notice how sometimes the smile takes me to tears...always just beneath the surface...ready to cascade at any moment...a waterfall of joy...or grief.













3 comments:

  1. It feels like a privilege to have such bird's eye view of them! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent article. Very interesting to read. I really love to read such a nice article. Thanks! keep rocking.jogos friv gratis
    Jogos online
    jogos 4 school
    jogos io 2019

    ReplyDelete