Thursday 6 December 2018

Just Plain Wrong



















Sometimes in a conversation 
to someone who doesn't know
I say,
My husband died two years ago.
I don't say 
25 months and one week ago.

I say it in a normal
weather announcer voice,
"......a cold front approaching from the north west...
as if it's a normal thing to happen 
to a person.

What they don't know is the tsunami 
inside is always on replay,
so any tiny thing can
toss me into that wall of water.

Like today,
 driving in traffic
a tall man, slightly balding,
in a red jumper
is walking on the pavement 
in my direction.

And in one  gasp of a breath
I remember every millimetre of him,
my husband, 
a smile breaking on his face 
when he sees me.

And the thing of it is 
it's happening
now
now
not 2 years ago
not 5 years ago
not any time ago
but he's here
with me 
now 
in the car, 
with his smile,
in my memory,
which 
has no time limit
on it. 

There is no time limit 
on this wave
which is always breaking  
inside me,
while I continue to 
announce the daily weather to myself
as if I was a 
business as usual person,
instead of 
the one 
nearly drowning
in the water of 
of it's all  just
plain 
wrong.


No comments:

Post a Comment