Wednesday 19 December 2018

In Need of Light

I don't have many Christmas decorations. And over the last few years since Robin was ill we didn't even put up a tree. Not having children, we didn't create many rituals around Christmas and eventually gave up having adult  'stockings' -  a tradition Robin brought with him from his family. It got rather out of hand...wrapping up loads of little jars and packets of food and knickknacks on Christmas Eve, including a sugar mouse and a satsuma stuffed in the toe of the stocking. And he always gave me far too much.

I don't want to open up lots of packing boxes to look for our Christmas decorations...including baubles for the tree that my mother used to have....I'm not feeling very festive anyway and feel as if I'm just going through the motions of this time of year.  All that matters to me is spending time with my family and I'm going to be doing that. And making and sharing our traditional festive food.
 But then it is common traditions/rituals that connect us.... even if they are different.... and they are different all over the world. So the symbolism of bringing light into the darkness has to be a universal theme for us all however we interpret it.

And I'm feeling in  need of light. To lighten up the load I put myself under. 

So today I went to the garden centre where they have an overwhelming display of all things  Christmassy that you can light up - candles and trees and reindeer and stars -  with or without batteries. And in spite of nearly having a breakdown under the canopy of sparking and flashing LED lights  - too much choice - I bought a very cheap symbolic tree and heart to keep me in the spirit of giving and sharing. And to remind me to lighten up.

Also they are really pretty even if they don't have a symbolic meaning. I love them and I've never bought anything like them before.

The moon tonight viewed from my bedroom window.
The best light of all. No batteries needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment