Friday 26 October 2018

Too Much for a Heart to Hold




Flowers from the garden on the kitchen windowsill....


my view  this evening  when I'm washing up..
the moon last night ...swimming in the bird bath.


So it's true then.
Or so they tell me.
You have gone.
Forever.
No coming back.
I know it.
Because you aren't here.

So now I have to let my heart know it.

From the very beginning when 
the consultant said,
'It is Semantic Dementia'
I didn't believe it.
Not really 
not that you would  die
not soon anyway
not for a long 
undefined length of  time
only in some vague 
future. 
But we still had now
and now 
and now.
The hell of now.
Not knowing it would be 
beyond hell
 in the end.

But  that now is over.
Not vague any more.
Not just 2 years over.

Today I shock myself
did I really not believe it?
Living deep in the onslaught 
 of all those years
but not really believing it.

Too much for a heart to hold.

And still now
I live in a kind of hope
I don't know what for...

that if I still wear your ring
still  wrap myself in this illusion, 
this fantasy
that it could  be like it was,
before you were ill
even though that 
wasn't  exactly a bed of roses.

That if I still
 grieve for what we can never have now,
that somehow
  it will protect me 
from the raw
gut twisting 
truth.
You have gone 
and even if you were here 
it would not be good.
For you 
or me.

Too much to digest 
in one great eight year
 gulp.
 So like the dreaded goat's milk kefir 
which
I disguise with banana,
I can remember 
and forget 
in equal portions
till I get more accustomed 
to the taste 
of the
 final
 truth.





No comments:

Post a Comment