Thursday 15 March 2018

....back into the river.




















Today
I walk in the thunder of 
waves 
sucking the rattle of pebbles
into their jaws.
Lost to myself in
the white water of
 memories.

 Spooling movies
 in my head
of my husband. 

And then
my grandparents
my mother my father
my eight aunts
 and nine uncles
my two cousins
my friend
all gone.

This is not nostalgia
not living in the past
as if I am 
somehow diminished without their presence.
Instead it is
the way I
keep them alive
keep them with me.
Honour them
by remembering
the way I loved them 
and the kaleidoscope 
of their lives
meshing with mine.

They companion me 
while I still wade in the 
undertow
of this wretched mourning 
which hurls me 
again and again
back into
the river
where I stay a while
till it's time
to go home
for tea.



No comments:

Post a Comment