Thursday 11 August 2016

Rapid Response or Not....


Instead of browsing in the farmers' market this morning we head north to South Molton.  We don''t get that far and instead of stopping for coffee and cake we pull in to a picnic spot on the way for the snack I always carry with me now - just in case. 


Then we turn round and drive home.


Robin sleeps while I start making lunch.


But I get distracted by a phone call from the social services.  Our lovely occupational therapist rang me at 8.30 this morning after I emailed her on Monday saying Help, can't do this on my own now.

 She says she can instigate the Rapid Response Team and get me some  assistance every morning to get Robin up and dressed. To start by the weekend.  I ask for 8.30 am or 9am. Rapid response happens when someone is at risk of going into hospital. And is funded by the NHS.

Later it transpires that RR doesn't have capacity for 9am. Hence the call from the Social Services. He says it is almost impossible to get care at that time, especially in Exeter, but it seems there is a care agency with capacity at 9am but I would need to speak to them and fund it myself. Which I have been doing all along for any services as we are above the financial threshold regarding income to qualify for support.

In the end I arrange for a carer to come every morning next week for 45 minutes to get Robin up and dressed. Except it may not be at 9am  - could be before or after - within an hour anyway - and it wouldn't be the same person every day.  When I realise that I want to cancel the whole thing - it feels more stressful than me just doing it myself. I agree to a week's trial.

When I tell him Robin says it sounds supportive....anything to support me is good.

I abandoned the paddling pool this morning. After spending 20 minutes trying to blow it up  and Robin patiently padding around the kitchen waiting for me to make the valve work, I want to throw it into the bin. So I return to sponges and  bath towels on the floor.



Supper tonight..... fork mashable  with fusilli pasta...



An evening nasturtium....it's the most relaxed I've been all day.... 5 minutes in the stillness of the garden...when it's too late to make any more phone calls or arrangements......  just me and the plants and the apple tree....till I hear Robin calling me to get him up.....one more time.






No comments:

Post a Comment