Friday 19 October 2018

The road is like my journey



















As it's a sublimely beautiful day I set off early for a walk...decide to go beyond my usual turn off to the footpath that gives me a circular route back to the village....and continue up the hill .... I'm treated to breath-taking views across rolling Devon hills and farms.

I have no map and no water and no idea how far to go.... just a vague instruction from one of my neighbours  to turn right at Christ's Cross or Criss Cross as it is known locally....and that will take me back to the village.

Luckily I meet another neighbour ...she stops the car and gets out and we have a long chat in the sunshine. She says yes, turn right at Criss Cross, pass by 5 farm gates on the left and there will be  an unmarked stony track on the right after that.

I find the turning and I walk the path.
Nearly 4 hours later I am home again.

 
I love  every minute of it. The beauty. The warmth. The peacefulness. And the birds.
Even not knowing where I'm going or how long it will take but confident I'll find my way in the end if I keep my sense that the village is always on my right.

And as I walk I think that the road is like my journey now ....very steep and stony in parts but it always comes out on a plateau...with a different view at the top. And always something beautiful to see....something beautiful to be grateful for.


2 comments:

  1. A beautiful description of a walk - and great pics - and I'm so glad you had a good time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Belinda -it was an unexpected gift of a day -the best sort! x

    ReplyDelete