Thursday 18 October 2018

Some things about today

A shy water lily...taking shelter under a leaf in the fishing lake.

 I'm loving these pink roses still flowering in the front garden...


 always reminding me of Mary Oliver's poem,
Roses, Late Summer
......the last roses have opened their factories of 
sweetness
and are giving it back to the world.
If I had another life 
I would want to spend it all on some
unstinting happiness.


Some things about today...

I'm showered with gifts and hugs and smiles in a small Italian cafe.... pampered with coffee and cakes  and catching up with dear friends.

In Waitrose I buy a pale oak coloured, small round cheese with a smaller round on top of it.... like a fat bottomed bottle with its neck stretched into a smaller fat cork..... a smoked Italian curd cheese called Scamorza Affumicata.
 It's an impulse buy in memory of the few days Robin and I  spent with my niece and her boyfriend ( now husband) in Sardinia..... at least 12 years ago.... and a wonderful picnic we had..... laying out a sarong cloth in a clearing of a forest...  on  a hot dry hillside. 
I can't resist  nibbling slim round slices of it as I  cook my plain rice pasta for supper ...back to bland after  yesterday's veggie feast.


I know you can have an embarrassment of riches.
Can you have and embarrassment of tears....of wailing....of howling?

Tonight 
in my bedroom for one
 that still smells of dog,
only the black flies 
flinging themselves hopelessly 
 against the ceiling 
can hear me.
And the brick walls
soak up the saltiness
of my
dismantled soul.


No comments:

Post a Comment