Tuesday 20 March 2018

With The Telling Of It


So I start the telling of it,
the death
and the last time,
which I didn't know
was the last one,
to one who hasn't heard it before.
And she receives it from me
welcomes it - 
the telling of it - 
and holds it 
with kitten soft gloves.


So then I can breathe into the cavity of 
my ribs
into the scrying bowl that wasn't
there before
her witness
to my telling of it.



Of the last time 
I touch him,
a kiss
brief
hurried,
because I want to go home.


You look at me
from your lying sideways
on the pillow,
tired
sleepy.
"I love you,
have a wonderful life",
you say, with
your full of sweetness
smile.


I can't remember if I said it - 
how can I not?
But I would have said 
'I love you too'
because I always did.
And I know I said,
'I'll see you tomorrow,
and I'm bringing your sister
and Ian and the children.'
And your face was beaming happy then.



And I leave you
one last time
and I go to  the nurse's office 
and talk to her about the arrangements for tomorrow
and that I'm worried you are slipping sideways in the car seat
and I'm thinking about getting a car that we can adapt for a wheel chair.


And then I walk back down the corridor 
and  stop 
briefly at your open door
and look in at you,
lying on your side
in the bed
with your eyes closed.

And I don't go to you
and kiss you goodbye
one last time.

And I wish I had.
Taken those few steps across the carpet,
and touched your cheek.
bent my head to yours,
instead of longing to go home
to be alone...
not knowing it would be 
a forever alone. 

Because all this was
just hours 
before 
the phone call
the next morning.



But here's the thing
at the end of the telling of it,
I see that what I'm holding on to is 
 my if-only wishes.

They kill me more 
than the real shock
of the phone call
which my body
 is clinging to
for dear life.




So I'm sitting with a new thought
waving the white flag
of surrender
I give up the war in myself of
 what didn't happen
what I didn't do 
what I didn't say
what I wish I had
done 
and
said.
And let my body speak to me of 
the news
not new
but shattering
me 
still.
A moment 
frozen in time.

And to dis-able 
the bullet power 
of that moment
again and again
is something I can do...
with the help
of those 
kitten soft gloves.






2 comments:

  1. What a tour de force this poem is.
    I love the idea of (counselling etc?) being a scrying bowl - perfect.
    'If onlys' have been dominating my thoughts and feelings too. It's so good to know I'm not alone.
    Bx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your comments always acknowledge and touch me so much....bless you. And you are never alone in this grieving cauldron....one layer leads to another deeper one.....stay there as long as you need....the next one will come....uncovering our natural drive to heal. A big hug .Xx

    ReplyDelete