Friday 16 September 2016

Thank You God








Someone else's heritage tomatoes and apples.

This morning Robin is so precarious on his feet, and  I'm so afraid he is going to fall, 
that after breakfast I get him into the wobbly, dusty wheel chair.

I phone the home, Lucerne House, where he's on the waiting list. They say they will call back.

The hospice nurse phones. How is everything?

Not good, I say.  I need a proper wheel chair.

She says, 
 I'll get in touch with the Occupational Therapists, and get you one and some training about hoisting and transferring.

I say, I have an appointment with them next Friday.

 She says, You need it sooner than that.

When young, strong, responsible PA arrives to take Robin out we wheel him to her car and load him in with the handling belt. And then she says, 

Go to your lunch. I can do this. 

I dither ...should I go?

Yes,  she says, Go. And don't rush back. 

I love her,  and her can-do experience. Robin loves her too.

So I grab my cool bag packed with the spring onion and courgette omelette I made earlier and the jar of Dukkah and the bowl of green beans and tomatoes and head off to my lunch to share ....only 10 minutes away where my sister and I are meeting our friend.


I tell them the saga of this morning. They say, call Lucerne House again.... and then start looking up on the internet all the homes in Devon who take people with MND.

When I get through on the phone the manager says.

Oh, I was going to call you this afternoon. I have a bed for Robin. He could come next week. Someone will ring you on Monday to discuss the finances.

I can hardly believe it. My world - and Robin's - changed in an instant. I have told him  - for 2 weeks to start with. He says, 

We'll see how it goes.

Just now when I tucked the duvet round him and asked him how was your day he said,

Probably fine but I can't remember. What are we doing tomorrow?

Whatever we do tomorrow is fine with me. The relief is like winning the lottery...... an answer to my prayers....... a get out of jail free card....a miracle and a gift. I hardly dare even think about it. How blessed and lucky I am.

Thank you God.



No comments:

Post a Comment