Monday 29 August 2016

Weekend Pass


















Bank holiday Monday.

We drive right across Dartmoor beyond Princetown and the prison, to Yelverton and then on to the National Trust's Buckland Abbey near Crapstone. Robin is already tired after the hour and a half drive - his long getting up and dressed routine as well. 

Now that we have the Blue Badge we can park in disabled parking spaces which we do, and for the first time use the free buggy service to get driven to the Abbey down a short pebbly path.
We never get to see the Abbey....spend a long time in the disabled loo,..... spend a short time in the long lunch queue in the restaurant while Robin waits in the dining room as no tables outside with sun umbrellas....I give up - only one person serving with 10 people in front of me - and we catch the buggy back to the car park. 

We sit in the car with the doors open and Robin drinks half an Innocent smoothie and eats half a soft biscuit. I drink a whole smoothie and drive back home via Plymouth which makes him happy as he loves Plymouth .... he has associations of his parents who were there during the war and my nephew who lives there now with his family.

Luckily lovely friend-carer comes later to take Robin out for another 2 hour drive so I don't have to do it and make supper instead, in fragrant, garlicky, herby, kitchen peace.



On Saturday evening same lovely friend-carer stays with Robin so that I can go to my sister's farm and spend time with my visiting niece and her husband who recently celebrated their first wedding anniversary and my nephew and his family.

We sit in their beautiful end of summer garden in  late sunshine... treated to crisps and olives and Prosecco...and even join in a game of rugby/football the lawn - with no rules and 2 people on each team - the most important member being 5 years old and full of exuberant, laughing energy.

And later..... another delicious treat  -


my sister's salmon and sweetcorn quiche,



and own garden herb salad,



followed by my nephew's giant vanilla meringues to 


accompany her glorious sour cherry sauce - cherries picked by brother-in-law from their own tree only hours before.

It feels like  I've had a reprieve...a weekend pass out of the army....just a few precious hours which make all the difference to me ....so that I can carry on caring.....without breaking.

And  a lovely surprise -  when I return I find that Robin has been on a trip round Exeter on the local bus  - an inspired expedition with  friend-carer- making my evening even more complete.





No comments:

Post a Comment