Friday 12 August 2016

Replicating Me... New Grey Hair








Single late rose in the garden - red velvet beauty.

Frankly, it's you I'm more concerned about than Robin. You are looking very stressed.  Says lovely MND support person. I'm shocked it shows so much.  Every week I notice more grey hairs.

We make a list of 7 things to do. 

She arrives with her big kind, practical heart and leaves me with  a wheelchair for Robin - a bit dusty from her garage but worth trying. The OT said it could take 12 weeks to get one from the NHS so this is a bonus.  Although it is a bit small he can at least get in it....getting out is a bit more difficult as he is so tall. 

This morning we have our complementary massage at the Hospice Care centre. One each. For Robin,  his arms and hands. For me, my back. Soft oiled hands in my knotted muscles. Lovely at the time but hurts now. Probably nothing to do with the massage. 

This evening lovely friend/carer arrives to replicate me for a few hours. He waters the garden while Robin sleeps. I show him how to  get him up and dressed.  Take him to the loo. I make supper while he sits with him in the lounge. He takes my chair at the table and feeds him while we eat savoury nutty rice and salad - he is vegan. He shows Robin how to watch Family Guy on Iplayer but Robin wants to go to bed.  I show him how to use the electric bed and how to place Robin's arms across his chest so he can turn over.

Just his presence makes me feel  that I don't have to do it all, all the time. And I can wash up, uninterrupted ,while someone else blows Robin's nose, scratches his head, takes him to the loo. He will come back on Sunday - hooray.

Tonight I nearly fall asleep in the bath to the sound of Carl Orff's Carmina Burana wafting up through the open window. Robin is playing it on his computer. I remember buying it as a LP all those years ago....and now he has no idea what it is .......doesn't matter.....he is occupied for half an hour...which gives me half an hour.
 But probably not enough to slow down the rapid growth of my new grey hair.



No comments:

Post a Comment