Tuesday 16 August 2016

Hot and Blue and Beautiful


Paddling pool ( young cleaner with lots of puff helped me blow it up last week) drying out in sunshine this morning after same nice carer came  - much earlier thank goodness - to get Robin up.



It looks more at home on the grass than in the kitchen with a perching stool in it.  But it's better than wet towels everywhere. And Robin likes it.
























I was going to do some gardening this afternoon while Robin was in the tender loving care of dear friend driving round verdant county lanes, all views obscured by our high Devon banks and hedges thick with summer growth.

But it was too hot and blue and the light so beautiful.....I had no energy to pick up the secateurs so I sat in the shade of the umbrella ....ate an almond Magnum ice-cream and dipped in and out of a new book I've just started called The Past by Tessa Hadley....alternatively mesmerised by her marvellous prose and the burning brightness the garden all around me... the reds and golds and oranges of petals constantly swished by humming bees and chasing butterflies..

I kept wondering if this could be the last summer here....kept remembering how we planted this garden...and all the gardens we've grown from the beginning -  our first little square garden at the back of our flat in Streatham.... when Robin knew what a begonia was long before I ever did. He grew heavenly lilies in old blue plastic tubs I remember...









Tonight I cook my feta fritters again - this time perfumed with chopped Greek Basil - seems to have become my  easy signature dish this summer....in the absence of the allotment and my usual supply of green beans to make stews of green beans tomatoes and garlic.

We eat them in front of the TV watching the incredible leaping and dancing bodies of world class athletes. I wonder what it must be like to win a gold medal at the Olympics at age 19...a bronze at age 16. Where to go after that...


No comments:

Post a Comment