Tuesday 1 October 2013

Spagetti


View from the kitchen window of our friend's' house in Peterculter, Aberdeenshire, on our last night with them.


City of Aberdeen.


Ullswater, The Lake District, where we stayed last Tuesday.


This  Tuesday - tonight the whole house smells sweet and sharp and spicy. Nine warm jars of Apple, Fig and Rhubarb Chutney sitting on the kitchen counter.

This morning the lady from The Altzheimer's Society arrived early for our appointment -  before I had time to drink my green smoothie breakfast or put my lipstick on. She was very young, said she didn't know anything about Semantic Dementia but she had done some research about it last night. I don't need much more information about my husband's disease.  I need time alone at home. They do offer a be-freinding service - a volunteer who will spend time with him on a regular basis. She said she'll try and find someone to match him. 

 I'm so grateful to these organisations. But it's still a bit like unravelling spagetti ....there are so many strands of support and I'm not sure when is the right time,  or who are the best people to talk to ....the GP, the Social Services, Devon Carers, the Neurologist, Age Uk, the Psychologist, a solicitor, a financial advisor, the DWP, Citizen's Advice Bureau, a Speech and Language Therapist, an Occupational therapist.....?

I expect it'll come clear at each stage.....I can't see the whole picture now.....just have to trust that all is unfolding as it should....and I already have so much love and support in my life anyway.....

Meanwhile my husband is happy playing Majhong games on the computer- hour after hour.

 And all I want to do is finish my library book - Helen Dunmore, The Greatcoat - and escape into the safe world of words where the only decision I need to make is when to put the light out.



2 comments: