Friday 27 April 2018

Nothing comforts me....







It rains all day.
 After the filling this morning my mouth is numb with novocaine for hours.
I crave something soft and spiced and hot for when I can eat again.
For comfort.
I read Italian, Indian, Middle Eastern recipe books
 for risottos and pilaus and pilaffs.

In the end I cook up a pan of Saffron Rice
 fragrant with star anise,  all spice, black pepper corns, clove, crushed cardamon seeds
and creamy sweet with coconut milk.
And let it cool to absorb all the flavours 
so I can have it for supper later.
With eggs and broccoli.



 A dear friend comes for tea and talk,
I watch The Good Fight on catch up on Iplayer, 
I wear my favourite old cashmere jumper 
and read my book wrapped in a blanket
on the sofa.

But nothing comforts me today.
I only want the living breathing flesh and blood 
and warmth of 
my husband's arms around me.
Nothing else will do.
So nothing is what I have.

Today
that hopeful Open Space
where anything can happen
just feels like a cold empty draught 
at my back.


No comments:

Post a Comment