Tuesday 17 April 2018

Glass Ceiling ...Glass Wall













A woman with her dog stops to talk to me when I'm taking photos of this snowy display of hundreds of magnolia stellatar in the park the other day.

She says they were planted for a particular reason....a special occasion.
But I can't remember what she said. 
Maybe it was for the millenium... whatever it was they are spectacular.


There is a glass ceiling for women in business.
There is one for us who grieve as well.

It's vague, general, unacknowledged.
But all the same a consensus
'out there'
an agreement when enough is enough....
when it's now possibly
 too long.

When the activity of mourning 
at first respected, expected,
normal,
tips into what is called 
self indulgence
a dangerous dislocation
from reality
requiring 
an antidote.

To breach that glass ceiling
of well meaning, 
for -your-own-good, 
concern,
needs a courage I may not have.

It is also an inherited family "get over it now" pattern,
my own internal glass wall 
to dismantle
one brick at a  time.

So I need
a hand to hold.
An angel's wing
to guide me.

Which is what I had today.

To say out loud 
to write it...
'It's not enough for me.
Not yet.
I need more time.
I don't know how long.
It could be forever.
It hurts even more than it did at the beginning
when  I thought I was feeling
the pain
but really I was just
numb.
And now I know 
to enter the heart and stomach of it
to rage
to rail
to want to die
to be so 
foreign to myself
without my love
is 
my reality now"

To hold the faith of that
morass of feeling
not knowing when it 
will change

is my fist in the glass ceiling...
my fingernails in the mortar.








No comments:

Post a Comment