Thursday 31 January 2013

Drop by Drop

 Take 200ml olive oil and one whole egg,

add a tablespoon of wholegrain mustard, juice of a lemon and a scrunch of sea salt


Bamix blend to rich white gold,


and savour.


Woolly blueberries for afters.


In the nodding open heart of a Hellibore...


Single off side rose opening..... 


Seeds sprouting in the bird feeder hanging in the apple tree


We eat a lot of mayonnaise. Hellmans. Sometimes diluted with lemon juice. Or perked up with crushed garlic or whole grain mustard or hot horseradish sauce or in my husband’s case, chilli jam.

My sister reminds me I could make my own. Especially as I have a magic hand-held blender - a Bamix -  which works every single time and emulsifies it in a whirring few seconds, so no need for the shoulder aching, whisking in with a fork, drop by drop oil thing, with no guarantees of it not splitting.....

You are supposed to use a flavourless vegetable oil in Mayonnaise but today I use extra virgin olive oil which in theory is too strong but I love it. And the addition of grated frozen whole lemon gives it a fresh umami zing...

This afternoon when the light is dull  I take some garden photos from different angles, not looking for perfection - thank you, my photographer sister - and it makes me think about writing/living from another point of view - a what if? perspective. What if I shitfed my default position of always feeling bad about myself, and instead, looked at me as well as the other person -  through the lens of a gentle loving kindness?

And mixed that into my thoughts -  drop by drop -  with no effort...... and curdling was part of the imperfect journey.......


4 comments:

  1. not looking for perfection- I love it- thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you lovely woman.....and then I remembered - it's all perfect just the way it is without me doing anything....! Wonderful to hear from you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm back, I couldn't read you blog for a while, my husband seemed to be forgetting things, and a quote from Ben Okri kept running through my head. "Be aware of the stories you read or tell, subtly at night, beneath the waters of consciousness, they are changing your world". But I'm back because I think he was just a bit stressed and your writing is so wonderful. Wonderful in a way that often makes me cry. Your blog is the only one I read for the words, usually I love pictures most, now I have both here!....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you dear Nina - I love the Ben Okri quote too....be especially tender and kind to yourselves when you are coming out of that spin cycle of scary what if? X

    ReplyDelete