Sunday 23 December 2012

Safety Net


23rd December 2012

Sainsbury’s is heaving at 10am but by the time we have filled our trolley with double cream, Parmesan cheese, walnuts and loo rolls and a few other things not on the list the queues at the tills have shortenend and we zip through easily. I keep saying to myself this is the last Christmas I’m going to spend this much money as we won’t have it next year.....I can see that food is the area where I’m going to find it hardest to budget....

On the way home we call in at some dear friends to take up their offer of some Skimmia cuttings with lovely red berries to substitute for the dearth of holly in our garden....he offers me some coaching for my ‘Christmas stress’ which I will also take up.....

While my husband walks in quiet damp woods I stay in the warm kitchen and conjure with mincemeat and melted chocolate, marzipan and honey, walnuts and cherries.....

And I take great comfort and reassurance from phone calls, emails and cards from my family, from dear friends, of such support and understanding of however sad and bad and weird it gets with me and my husband, I feel the safety net of their love like a constant spinning web around me ....  precious golden threads....impossible to fall through without a hand, a voice, reaching out to catch me....even in their own pain and darkness.....


No comments:

Post a Comment