Tuesday 10 April 2012

Weed Mountain

10th April 2012 Tuesday


You are right. It does make a difference - it looks so much better, says my husband.


He’s tying struts across the line of canes he’s put in for the beans. I’m doubled over in the leek bed. The pile of weeds on the path is growing into a mountain. They come up so easily after all this rain and now the sun is hot on my neck. It’s very satisfying making space around the roots - each leek standing tall in it’s black earth duvet. Then it’s the turn of the rhubarb and the artichokes and the raspberries.


Later we hack away at the waving buddleia branches which have shot into the sky like rockets. We forget the time, stay too long and miss the appointment with the loft ladder man who came to fix the trap door latch. But I don’t mind.


It felt good to keep following the weeds creeping into the rows of beds - leading me on and on deeper into my mission to bring light and air to those plants which will be feeding us all summer long. Especially with my husband pulling away on the other side of the blackcurrant bushes - making his own mountain of weeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment