Friday 29 June 2018

Savoury Vegan Muffin Supper





Roses flourishing in the garden of Robin's aunty.


This evening when it was still blazing hot and I had to draw the kitchen curtains against the sun, I made savoury vegan muffins. Raised with flax seeds - ground and soaked in water. And a teaspoon of cider vinegar - all egg replacements. 
I experimented with two varieties using the same basic mixture of polenta, spelt flour, olive oil and almond milk.
 A spicy one with red pepper, sweetcorn, onion, flavoured with roasted cumin , chilli and fresh coriander.
And a Mediterranean one with green olives, sun-dried tomatoes, artichokes, fresh rosemary, garlic and parsley.

They looked dull when they came out of the oven. The texture was disappointing  - a bit heavy. The flavours were mild. So I perked them up  - one of each for my supper  - with a big dollop of  oily, garlicky, sweet roasted tomatoes and more olives. 

Almost as delicious as the ones I sometimes make raised with eggs and oozing melted cheddar with a crunchy parmesan crust on top. But not quite.


No comments:

Post a Comment