Wednesday 13 August 2014

A Biscuit Step Too Far











My first taste of cherries this year - big black English ones -  we bought them in the fruit shop in Sidmouth this afternoon.....can't help comparing them to the glorious abundance of the Armenian ones we feasted on last year... which were sweeter, shinier,  firmer and fresher - straight off the trees in the garden of my husband's cousin....

It was biscuit week in The Great British Bake Off tonight....I missed bits of it though.... as I kept nipping in and out of the kitchen  - taking the two logs of biscotti out of the oven, leaving them to cool, and then cutting them into fat slabs and cooking them again. My husband and I made them together before he went to water the green house at the allotment. I discover biscotti means twice cooked and ours are definitely rock hard -  as they are supposed to be for dunking in Vin Santo or coffee. Our version is a Paul Hollywood adaption ( thank you, Biscotti Queen for the recipe!) with chunks of dark chocolate, cranberries, almonds and orange zest kneaded into the sweet biscuit dough.

Thank goodness we only have to eat them though and not turn them into a space ship or a carousel or a mountain ski scene as the contestants were doing on TGBO .....a biscuit step too far in my world....


No comments:

Post a Comment