Monday 4 June 2018

His Kingsize Life


The first cherries from the Turkish shop. Addictive.
I'm loving my garden..

so fragrant  on these long warm nights...

still light at 10pm.

And I'm getting huge pleasure from other people's gardens too

on my walk to and from the park..... including 
this peony bud, fat and round as an unripe cherry.

 Yesterday I was worried about this little robin though...

all ruffled up with mohican hair feathers...

as if his head had been mauled in the mouth of a cat...


 Saturday
It is the sale season.
I'm in a bed shop called Dreams.
The salesman from Birmingham asks me what I'm looking for.
I say I'm moving house,
downsizing
and I need a 
double bed
not a kingsize one that I have been used to for 30 years. 
He takes me over to a simple oak framed bed.
He asks me a question 
and I can't speak
choking on tears 
as I look down on this bed
which is so shockingly  small 
to my eyes
hardly wide enough for a child.
Let alone 
for a widow.
Everything was kingsize with Robin 
because he was so tall.
So I slipped into his kingsize life
beside him
not realising how big and wide 
he made mine.
The salesman from Birmingham 
offers me a cup of tea.
What can you say to a 
customer 
weeping at the sight of an ordinary 
double bed
plenty big enough for two
who seems to think it's not even big enough 
for one?
 But then how would he know what
 my dreams 
are made of.

Today my wonderful de-cluttering sister

helps me to empty and sort and chuck out and recycle 

the contents of Robin's garden shed.
So much easier to let go of all his old chisels and and drills and packets of out of date seeds than to let go of our kingsize bed and our kingsize life. 

And  instead squeeze myself into all the narrow spaces of my single days and my single nights.


No comments:

Post a Comment