Monday 22 February 2016

Wall to Wall PBW to Budleigh and Back

























At The Barbican, Plymouth Harbour, on Sunday when we finally made it to The Rockfish Cafe - a place I've been trying to eat at for more than a year. I had the catch of the day - a grilled fillet of whiting and a little bucket of excellent chips. I had to lean over the bottles of vinegar and chilli sauce in the middle of the table to feed Robin with the slippery chopped up lettuce in his prawn cocktail which he couldn't scoop up on his fork.


Today the lovely OT came at 9.30am to watch Robin get dressed  and see if she could offer any tips to make it easier for him. She suggested two things - to sit down when he's trying to pull his shirt on and to use his worst hand ( his right) first. She noticed, like me, that although he's clearly struggling he gives up very easily.

In town at the CO-OP bank we arrange to cancel Robin's credit card. We go to the desk at the back of the counter and the nice clerk puts me through on the phone. I explain Robin's difficulties but the man on the other end says he has to speak to him to go through security questions. He says, You mustn't prompt  him. He asks Robin for his memorable name. Robin says, Do you want my full name? The man repeats the question in a rather exasperated tone.

I whisper to the clerk that Robin won't remember it. She whispers back, I can check it on my system.
Then I remember what it might be - the name of our fluffy pig (I bought it for a friend when she had her baby 30 years ago but couldn't part with him) .
I mouth it to her. She nods. I whisper it to Robin and he repeats it to the man on the phone. Result  - the card will be cancelled. 

The rest of the day is a Poo Bum Willy day. Robin sits at the kitchen table doing his word search puzzles, singing PBW to the radio - and then apologising - while I make marmalade -  pushing the squishy bitter pulp and seeds through a sieve with the back of a spoon.  I'm  also waiting for the plumber to come and fix the drip in the hose in the down stairs loo before we can have lunch.

After lunch, samosas, onion bhajis and salad, we drive to Budleigh Salterton- Robin singing PBW to the radio all the way. Today I find the constant apologising harder than the constant PBW. It doesn't matter what I say about it's not his fault and he can't help it and it's all OK , he's doing his best and I'm doing my best and if we could do any better we would. But nothing makes any difference and it's just wall to wall PBW to Budleigh and back. 

So I'm glad today is over and tomorrow I'll have another chance to do my best.




No comments:

Post a Comment