Tuesday 2 February 2016

Breaking Out


Somewhere on the A303 this afternoon in Wiltshire, on the way back from Robin's aunty's funeral in Salisbury. 

At the hotel afterwards
we sit at a big circular table,
pristine white cloth
hanging to the chairs
 a jug of water and wine glasses in the centre.

 His other aunty sits on one side of him
his sister on the other,
feeding him salty peanuts 
one by one
from the 
plate of wake nibbles
that I selected for  him
from the platters of 
sandwiches and canapes
chicken wings and asparagus spears
arranged on trestle tables around the room.

All the guests mingle above us
above the flat white ocean
of the empty round table.

When his brother comes,
stands behind his chair
 leans towards him,
to hear him better,
to ask him about 
his time in hospital,

it's like the sun breaking out
into a sky that 
has been dull and dark
for too long. 

Their aunty would have cheered
to be the catalyst
for peace breaking out.



Tonight it's me making the sky dark. I'm tired and at cross purposes with myself. Cross about not getting my own way about the showering thing.

And I have a spot breaking out above my top lip which hurts and makes me feel ugly.


No comments:

Post a Comment