Thursday 19 November 2015

Everything Is OK








One moment in my relentless day.....

The lady serving behind the counter in the Health Food shop says she remembers Robin from the Landmark Forum - a self development course we did together many years ago. She knows he has semantic dementia. She says,

I sat next to you once in the course and you were lovely and funny ....I just wanted you to know I knew what you were like then.

Robin says,
 I don't know what the Landmark Forum is. I have a brain disease.  Did I have sex with you? Joke Joke.

She says no but she laughs. We all laugh. I try and change the subject.

 As we are leaving -  I'm edging Robin towards the door -  he congratulates her on having a wonderful shop and says she's a lovely girl and so is the other lady behind the counter and so is the man behind us in the queue.

I can't wait to get out of the shop. You'd think I'd be used to it by now. Take it in my stride, adapt to the embarrassment, the anxiety about someone being offended. Sadly the thing Robin likes doing the most now - shopping, especially for food - is  mostly just an ordeal for me. Sometimes I make it fun and don't let it get to me. Today wasn't one of those days.

  So this adorable picture is to remind me that, as Matt Kahn says - Everything is OK and I'm loved and I'm safe.



No comments:

Post a Comment