Monday 7 September 2015

Our Different Food Worlds


















 

Happy bees....and fly...... at Coleton Fishacre - art deco coastal country home of the D'Oyle Carte family in the South Hams near Kingswear, which we visited on Saturday. We walked around the exotic sloping gardens and had lunch in the cafe, in the company of these two little metal robins for sale on the picnic table. Robin ran out of steam before we could explore the house but as we've seen it before I didn't mind....satisfied enough with capturing my feasting bees.





This evening I received some wonderful coaching help around the knotty issue I've been struggling with around me and food and Robin eating sugar. The question that opened the door for me was about  his quality of life. In his illness developing a sweet tooth is a common response. In my world what's important to me and what I value is high quality, nutritious and life affirming food. In Robin's world what is important to him, what makes him feel good is sweetness -in any form.

So however much I believe that poor quality, sugary, fatty food is harmful to him, what could be more harmful is my harsh judgement, my deep attachment to being right about it. And how could being upset and angry and critical of him in any way contribute to his quality of life - or mine for that matter?

I don't think there is a middle way in this one. Only loving kindness and trust. So tonight when he ate the plate of salad that he didn't want at lunch time, and then a plateful of biscuits and popcorn I didn't feel all hostile and afraid for his health....I just enjoyed last night's left over rice and veggies. Letting our different food worlds be at peace.



No comments:

Post a Comment